I hope you all enjoyed the long weekend. As you know, this will be my last week before going on maternity leave. Ms. Ruiz will be shadowing me this Thursday and will officially start on Monday, January 25. Her letter of introduction was on the reverse side of the info letter I sent home last week. As I’ve mentioned before, every week the 5th grade team meets for several hours after school to map out our collaborative lesson plans and design units of study together. As such, every 5th grader at Camarena is learning essentially the same thing at the same time. The 5th grade team will continue this format with Ms. Ruiz who has already been diligently attending our planning meetings. Here’s an overview of what the students will be working on this quarter:
- Science: identifying the different spheres of the Earth and how they interact
- Social Studies: how the colonies transformed into the United States
- Writing: Speech Contest; developing well-supported opinions using evidence from a variety of resources
- Math: multiplying and dividing fractions
- Language Arts: comprehension; roots and affixes; book clubs
We will also complete Physical Education Testing in the next few weeks. If you’d like more information, click here.
We’ll also be kicking off Jump Rope for Heart this Friday. Be on the look-out for info and forms!
Please let me know if you have any questions! Have a great week.